Sunday, November 18, 2012

The Beauty of Uncertainty

It's amazing how quickly our move to Uganda is approaching! We have less than 1 month until we leave, and it still doesn't seem real to me yet. Life has changed drastically for us in the past few weeks. We've finished one chapter and started another that will likely lead us in a completely different direction as we go forward.

Two weeks ago, I left my job at Phoenix Children's Hospital. Needless to say, it wasn't an easy thing to do. It was hard to walk away from an amazing hospital, amazing co-workers, and a cushy (day shift!) position in the PICU. I grew so much in my nursing practice in the 1 year and 3 months that I spent there. It was a wonderful first job for a new-grad fresh out of nursing school. I certainly had my days where it was difficult, frustrating, and exhausting, but at the end of the day, I loved being a PICU nurse. I'm definitely loving my new-found free time, but I still find myself thinking about PCH and missing it on an almost daily basis.


Austin also left his management position at QuikTrip two weeks ago. He definitely isn't as nostalgic as I am when he thinks about his time there, but it was a solid job that helped provide for us during our first year and a half of marriage. I find myself wondering what he will do when we get back. Austin has always wanted to be a police officer, and he may decide to pursue that further after our time in Uganda. Or maybe he'll pursue work with a non-profit or NGO and follow his passion for the work of the Gospel.

I know it may sound like I'm getting ahead of myself, but leaving our lives behind to be obedient to the calling God has placed on us is by no means easy. It's hard. It's messy. It really screws up my life plans. I'm the kind of girl who has always been painstakingly organized and has had every detail of my future planned for the next 5 years. As soon as we said yes to moving to Africa, my agenda went out the window. I am no longer in control of my own life.

I don't know how long we'll be in Uganda.
I don't know where we'll live when we get back.
I don't know where I will work or what I will do when we return to the States.
I don't know about the possibility of going to grad school in the future.
I don't know when we'll have children.
I don't know when we'll buy a house.
I don't know if our lives will ever be “normal” again.
All these things that used to comprise my idea of the future are on hold indefinitely.

This is where the sacrificial element of obedience smacks you in the face. It requires strength and faith to trust that God has asked you to take another path because it will lead you to something better.

God's Word tells us that He is a God of justice. He shows compassion for the oppressed, for the orphan, for the widow. He tells us that where our treasure is, there are hearts will be also. His Word says that faith without deeds is dead and that if we see our brothers and sisters in need and do not have compassion on them, then the love of God is not in us.

If I am to claim the name of Jesus, my life has to reflect these truths. I have to believe that God's upside down kingdom is better than the little one I could construct for myself. I have to trust that no matter what, God will provide for our needs as we seek first His kingdom and His righteousness. All the other details will fall into place. I'm choosing to embrace uncertainty, focus on the task ahead of me, and know that God will continue to be faithful to us as we serve Him.

On an unrelated note, our fundraising is just about complete! We need just a little bit more in one-time donations until we're fully funded and able to purchase our airline tickets. Check out our video below to learn more about our story. If you would like to make a 100% tax-deductible donation, you can sign up in just about 1 minute here.   


"And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." - Micah 6:8

No comments:

Post a Comment