Saturday, January 25, 2014

Turning a Husband Into a Daddy

In case you missed my recent post, I described the events leading up to the discovery of my pregnancy with our first little one. Now, I was faced with the decision of how to share this incredible news with my husband.

I opened the door to the bathroom after seeing my positive test and walked casually into the bedroom where Austin was laying on the bed, playing around on the computer. I had wide eyes and a racing heart, and it literally took EVERY ounce of strength and self-control that I had to not blurt it out right then and there! I knew that I wanted to tell him in a way that was cute and memorable (and could be preserved for posterity). I distracted myself by pacing around our room “cleaning” for a few minutes, which mostly consisted of picking up random objects and setting them back down again in the exact same spot. I was also frantically Facebook messaging my sister, Lara, back and forth. I knew that I was going to spill the beans if I didn't tell someone in person soon, so I finally walked outside and made a phone call to my sweet friend, Flo – the wife of our Sixty Feet director.

Flo was in the middle of giving her girls a Sunday school lesson, so I asked if I could stop by their house for a few minutes as soon they were finished. I went back upstairs and told Austin that I was heading over to Flo’s house for a quick cup of tea. On the short drive up the hill to her house, I remember praying out loud and thanking God again and again for this incredible gift that he had given me! I still couldn't believe that all of this was happening!

I think Flo knew that something was up right away because I was acting really jittery and anxious. We finally went out onto the porch alone and I blurted out the news. She was so sweet and excited for me, and together, we hatched a plan about how to tell Austin.

Flo had our director, Boog, call a pretend emergency meeting for the Sixty Feet American staff at 3:00 that afternoon. By this point, I had also told my roommates Emily and Staci, so all of the girls knew the true purpose behind this proposed, impromptu work meeting. Announcing my pregnancy to Austin was the only item on the agenda!

When I returned home, I was able to sneak one of Austin’s old, white T-shirts downstairs along with a black Sharpie. I laid it out on the table and carefully wrote “G³” on the front. Then I folded it and put it in a large envelope with his name on the front, hoping to pass it off as a child sponsorship-related document so that I wouldn't give anything away. Next, I sat at the kitchen table and wrote out a letter to Daddy from Baby Goss. I included a few Bible verses at the end and glued my 2 positive pregnancy tests to the bottom of the page, just in case he needed further proof that this was all very real.


After what felt like an eternity, the time for the “meeting” finally came. We all sat down, and Boog handed Austin the package I had given to him earlier. Boog told Austin that one of our counselors had been trying to get a hold of him to give it to him all day. At first, Austin was confused about why my handwriting was on the package, but finally took it from Boog and set it down WITHOUT opening it! I finally got him to open the envelope after some prompting. He held up the shirt and seemed really confused. At that moment, I handed him the letter from my Bible. He stared at the page for a minute, read the words “Dear Daddy” at the top, and immediately put the whole thing together. He was shocked, but completely ecstatic! I admittedly got a little teary eyed. Afterwards, Flo brought out a cookie tray for us that she had created to say “G³,” and we all ate and laughed together. It was such a special memory and an incredible afternoon all around.


I’m so glad that I got to share this news with my husband in a fun, special way that we will remember forever. Our Sixty Feet friends helped us capture some photos from the big reveal. Enjoy!








No comments:

Post a Comment